Saturday, February 28, 2015

SAE: I thought I had seen them all

We all know what SAE's look like, ya know a few pigs here, working at the local feed store there, collecting research on butter fat. Well I thought I had seen them all, and that I understood them all. Well surprise I was wrong! I had an amazing experience seeing a very non-traditional SAE and see some service in action!






Julie Edwards is a Freshman at Northwestern High school, by day she is a wonderful student who is always attentive and answers questions. By night Julie is a Jr. Volunteer Fire Fighter, and she truly shines here. Julie's SAE revolves around her training and time spent at the fire house, either on calls, training, or cleaning equipment. Now you may wonder how a Volunteer Fire Fighter is ag related, well Spring field VFD has a mobile ag rescue unit that Julie has worked with.



















Julie getting into her full dress
Another new part of SAE was our visit: we visited at 9 at night! Why so late you ask? Well we had to wait for Julie to be completed with training and actually at the fire hall not out on call. I had a chance to sit down and talk with her and I gained a lot of knowledge of how VFD work and what her role in the department was. As Julie gets older her role will change and she will take on more and more tasks. I now understand Julie a little more after getting to see her in her element! She is defiantly a star student who spends her time giving back to her community and developing skills that will last a life time!

And isn't that what SAEs are all about? Preparing ourselves for our futures? My time here on Northwestern SAE visits is going to be different than the SAEs I completed at home. And I am grateful for the wide range and experiences these students are gaining through SAEs through Albion FFA.
Julie and Mr. Honeycutt




 Julie plans to continue her work at the Springfield VFD. She would like to go to go to college however she isn't she for what yet. She knows however she wants to continue her path towards becoming a Volunteer Fire Fighter!










Julie spends a lot of time studying her packet to make sure she is always safe and understands what she can and can not do as a Jr. Fire Fighter



No comments:

Post a Comment