Saturday, February 28, 2015

Teacher Inservices...How can we make them better?

What a week!I still cant believe its week 5!  I was planing for a full week then I was reminded that we only had 3 days of school! Talk about not being prepared...that is defiantly something I need to work on, checking schedules and getting dates right. But  that is a skill I have been working on for awhile now.

Classes went great, I am really having fun in class and I'm starting to relax in front of the class. As the days pass I am feeling more and more like an Ag teacher. I wake up every morning knowing I have the potential to change the lives of students. And for most people my age waking up at 5:15 every morning to go to "work" where we are unpaid would be a horrible idea, however, its the way I want to spend the rest of my life well expect the unpaid part that is.

Thursday was my first parent teacher conference ever. It did not go the way I expected it to go. I imagined every student who was scheduled to come in would arrive early with a parent and would be waiting in the room when we got there. That was not the case, of the 21 visits that we had for the day only 7 showed up. I was surprised to see so little parents. But this was my perfect world mindset, it became a realization that some of these students who act out or don't complete work at times may come from un-supportive homes and my not have the help they need.


My views on the students who did come also changed, I had the chance to talk about grades and behavioral issues with both Mr. Honeyctt and their parent(s). It was a great chance to have a sit down talk and help sort our issues out.

Friday was my first in-service day I was expecting a lot more than what I got. For some reason the workshops that were available were focused towards, Math, English and Science. So I thought hmm maybe I will check out the STEM workshop! Well when I got there, it just was not that exciting, it was very focused on the Science and less on the remaining components. Although I understand this workshop was meant for current teachers I could see where there was room for growth for those in the ag department.

No comments:

Post a Comment