Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The first day of school

Such a terrifying day right? Well maybe not for you seasoned pros but for me its a scary thought. My experience in lab however has given me a grip on what to prepare for though. After feedback from my peers I have a better understanding of what I did wrong and after reviewing the video myself I have a good idea of how I can improve my first day experience.

My biggest weakness was classroom management, I know everyone says that is their weakest point but it truly is mine. I needed to set my expectations right away about talking and the use of phones. I did not clearly say no phones or no talking so my own fault right? I also should have made a point to everyone when I corrected individual students to show what I expected so I wouldn't have to repeat myself a 100 times.

A second issue of mine was my down time when students were doing bell work. I did not use it to my full advantage and should have moved around the room and got to know each student better, I also did not provide a solid get to know you game and that is one thing I would like to change.

Some things I did feel comfortable with were my confidence in front of the class. Even when megan gave her phone to Toby after I took his I kept my cool although I wanted to send them both outside! I also like how I greeted the students at the door. That is something I want to use each and everyday.

To improve for my next lab on interest approaches I want to research a little more on classroom management. I also know I need to develop stronger bell-work and keep my students on task. I also want to make sure I really hook my students in because they didn't seem to like coloring dairy cows last week.

Another great resource is http://www.edutopia.org this website is chalked full of amazing blogs!

Till next time!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment