Monday, December 15, 2014

Do you have a problem???

Problems based learning...or PBL as we like to call it (at least I do) can often be confused with project based learning and inquiry based learning. So I'm here to try and clear the space but in case I don't do a good enough job check out this awesome site that breaks down problems based learning and inquiry learning.






Now back to problems based learning, in lab I presented a problem to my students with a solution in mind. This is the key to problems based learning, only one end result. Our problem was presented through a video where a community member had some sort of pest eating her tomato plants. It was up to our class to help here. Since lab is a little different than the classroom I had to make some modifications, in the classroom I would have students as bell work create 5 questions they would need to ask and than we would skype in our community member who would present the information she could ( I would script it for her) and than the students could ask any additional questions they felt they needed to solve the problem of the mystery bug.

In lab students were presented a hand out with some background and than they were asked to research what pest they believed was affecting the tomato plant. (This is what day two of my class would be). After students picked their pest they created a mind map of how the pest got to the tomato plant, lack of nutrients, poor pH, to much water ect. I found the mind map to be really fun and helpful for the lab students to show why and how the pest got to only the tomato plants!








Lab went a little smoother than some of my past labs I did state my objectives, I moved around the room and tried to give each group equal attention, I thought I had a strong presence. However, I still lack the confidence, time management, and the lesson plan writing skills. I know however I am going to improve in these areas and with that I will become a strong confident agricultural educator who is set out to change the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment