Friday, January 23, 2015

The Tech Guy will make or break you...

"Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results"- Willie Nelson


Here is a little recap of my week in case you were wondering how my second week in the class has been.

Now you may be wondering about the title of my post...I have discovered this week that unless you have internet you have nothing...the frustration...but it is all okay, because now I am connected to the internet! 

 
Tuesday was my last day with Mrs. K, I really enjoyed teaching the whole day however I went home exhausted and ready for bed. I can't even stay up to watch the 11:00 news without being tired the next morning. Tuesday night I got to attended my first school board meeting. At each meeting the school board asks for each school (2 elementary, middle, and high school) to showcase one positive thing that has been going on. Since January is the month for farmshow, a few FFA members and I joined newly sun soaked Mr. Honeycutt and shared our experiences, accomplishments, as well as our observations of the schools we visited with the school board. This presentation not only showcased our Key Stone degree recipient, but also our jacket recipient. Both students got to share what the organization meant to them and also the power of the FFA jacket. By sharing in their experiences school board members see the power of FFA as well as all the organization has to offer. 



The student's "raps/ songs"
Now on Tuesday I had a kick butt lesson for my Intro class, we were learning about beef breeds and I knew from Friday that these freshmen do not do well with traditional power point notes, so I took a chance, stuck my neck out and mixed class up. I had students write lyrics to a song using facts and information about a breed of beef cattle, I wanted to have students sing however, they didn't like that idea. So I offered to type up the songs and the students took off and created some amazing songs about beef cattle! For once I felt like I had control, their attention, and their respect! Even the "bad" kids participated and helped write the songs. I didn't have much push back after I promised students wouldn't have to preform the songs, and my class room management strategies worked great!  




Bird Houses the Freshman made!


Wednesday Mr. Honeycutt returned to the classroom and we began the up hill battle (once again) of getting my computer on the school's internet network. Let me tell ya about the tech guy...well I'll let you figure it out (check out my twitter and instagram). Since Mr. Honeycutt was back I was able to take time and observe how he worked the room, and how he kept the kiddos under control. I had a few fun lessons with my Small Animal Science class, and we had to take a short break from cattle in Intro so we could finish up our bird houses. I can not wait for Monday to pick back up review a little share out our "raps" and continue our quest to learn more about the cattle industry and terminology.






I spend a lot of time soaking up the free WiFi
Yesterday, I should call it Wednesday because until I got to McDonalds and got online to check my social media, I thought it was only Wednesday. Now about McDonalds, thank-goodness for their free WiFi because I have been using that up! In fact, I'm starting to meet all the regulars and the staff, they tell me good-bye when I head home and to have a good night. During class I had a few struggles with Animal Science, I had the chance to reflect with Mr. Honeycutt and we decided my issue is that I do not move around enough when presenting. To help solve this problem I used Mr. Honeyuctt's clicker. After class I experienced my first faculty meeting, I had the chance to introduce myself as well as meet 3 other student teachers! During the meeting we talked about, UDL, SLOS, and choosing students for parent teacher conferences.

I was really amazed that as a student teacher at Penn State I was being prepared for this field of work, and topics that we have discussed these same topics in our class! I know we were being prepared, but yesterday it really sank in.
Students working on wiring with Mr. Honeyctt

Today went really good, I improved drastically in animal science, and have gotten a lot better. I moved a round a lot, used a clicker, prepared for class better and had more fun with class. I do have room to improve, I need to slow down a lot when I talk and keep my hands a little closer to myself. I know its only week two and its only going to get better from here! 


                                                     







  Now for the highlights:

Blaze has taken well to life in the shop
  •  During my 8th pd prep health class comes into the room, the health teacher has a student teacher so it's really interesting to talk and see how different our prep programs are as well as what our days look like
  • The tech guy must not like me much, I have tried for a few days to get online and only today has it worked! I'm still in the process of getting the ability to print from my computer. He gave me a cord the other day, but I need the to download the software onto my computer before it will work.
  •  I got heat and hot water at home!! 
  • I've made a lot of connections in the community and have felt so welcomed
  • I can make it home and to school with out a GPS
  • I have gotten a lot of positive feed back from the students about my lessons, my goals, and our up coming projects
  • My bunny has adjusted well to life in the shop and loves all the attention

Not a fan of the snow yet


Now, I'm not sure about the rest of yinz' but I am so tired when I get home every night, I am taking inspiration from Ms. Rice and trying to drink more water, however, I have found my increased water intake makes for increased restroom breaks and when the teacher bathroom is so far away, who really has time for that?? Here are a few other ways to try and boost your energy! 

And if you are looking for some inspiration to add a little art into your lessons, check out this collection of lessons that are art based! I saw a big improvement with my students by having them write a song, and I hope to work in Art and Music even more now!





Over all week 2 went a lot better than week 1, I can't believe 2 weeks have gone by already. As I plan out my weeks ahead I have had a few panic attacks about the lack of time we really have. I know its gonna get better and I know I am going to do great things here at Northwestern. So here is the countdown 2 down 13 to go...


1 comment:

  1. Rachel, great post. There were several points throughout your post that made me smile. I am so glad you see the value in our program and the assignments/experiences/activities we require of you have a purpose! I LOVE that you provided your peers with energy boosting options! I do understand the restroom break issue, I have that issue myself when I consume 100 oz. of water a day!

    Keep doing great things!

    LR

    ReplyDelete