Friday, January 30, 2015

A week of firsts

“We first make our habits, then our habits make us.” - John Dryden



Wow what a week it has been, I've had all types of firsts this week, my first FFA meeting, my first 2hr delay, and my first time chaperoning SLC for 4-H!







The beginning of the week was fairly typical, I am still only teaching Small Animal Science and Intro to Ag Science, on Monday I pick up Horticulture so I am really excited! Thursday was our Spuds and suds meeting, I was really excited to meet community members, parents, and future FFA members. It was a great time and we had a blast!





 This week in small animal science students have been creating a commercial using a dog as their star, to show an example I used my bunny to give students an idea. Check out the latest Superbowl add for Lipton Tea

 


 
Spuds and suds
Friday at 5 am I got a phone call tellin me to go back to sleep, it was my first 2hr delay. Now mind you we had gotten about 11 inches of snow from Thursday afternoon till early Friday morning. It was interesting teaching on a 2hr delay because the school shortens all morning classes, this meant for my 3 classes I taught only 15 minutes in each! Talk about drastic modification for my classes, I was not prepared for this 2 hr delay scheduled because I assumed it was similar to that in my high school where all classes were shortened.
 








So this weeks lesson: adaptation is key

Just a light snowfall...
Today I also had a great experience chaperoning the 2015 4-H state leadership conference, I am presenting a workshop tomorrow on global agriculture, and have a great opportunity to meet 4-H members from across the state.

I have always had a passion for 4-H and FFA and always hated how they never really connected, as a future educator I hope that I can help build that bridge between 4-H and FFA to prepare future FFA members and allow current FFA members to help current 4-H members!

I know this week was brief  but I am wore out! It was a long day, but I do not regret taking a chance and attending this conference to help develop my skills as a chaperone and continue
my networking, communication, and leadership skills!

 

Now to share a few websites I have discovered: Quizlet is a great site where you can create flashcards, vocab, and share the link with students to practice! I used this site to help my students identify cattle breeds and associate names and descriptions with pictures, the site saves any sets you make and you can also search other sets already made! You can also create a quiz and share it or print it!

Ever wanna try calling students but don't want to make them feel like you are targeting them? Well this fun site is a spinning wheel where you enter student names, it randomly picks a name and once the name is called it is removed! You can create multiple lists, save your lists, and use the wheel over and over again. I have found this site helpful instead of popcorn reading

Snowball fight during our spuds and suds meeting

Hope you are enjoying my adventure down the rabbit hole as much as I am!













2 comments:

  1. Rachel, I am very impressed with the extra time and effort you put into your blogs to not only reflect on your week, but to share resources with your peers!

    I would love to hear more of some of things you find challenge you and how you meet the challenge.

    LR

    ReplyDelete