Monday, October 27, 2014

National Convention: the first time outside of the jacket

Words can not describe how excited I am to be traveling to Kentucky tomorrow! Not only do I love the city, the atmosphere and the energy but getting to really know the students is what I look forward the most. Nothing like bonding on an 8 hour van ride to really meet your future students.

What really sunk into me that I am no longer a FFA member was when I started to pack and I didn't need the iconic blue corduroy jacket, it just has taken me by surprise how old I have become...I am no longer wearing the jacket I am supporting the jacket now. And after this week I will experience how amazing that is. 

Being a chaperon isn't new to me, a few weeks ago I got to experience what it's like on the other side of the table and to be honest it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was afraid I wouldn't know where I fit but I quickly found my place and my role became clear. 

Finding my role is what I think I will struggle with the most. I feel like a student still and I am pretty sure that I look like one too so how do I make myself stand out and define my role as a student teacher? I know by dressing a few steps up places me higher yet at the same time I feel no matter how professional I dress I still look like one of those high schoolers I am responsible for. I know I am going to struggle defining my role the most however, I know that once I gain respect and I act and portray myself as the adult that I am others will see that I am not the high schooler but the advisor. 

Once I get to know the students better I believe the transition into the classroom will be so much smoother. I got to spend the whole day in the classroom today and it was great getting to talk to the students about what I had planed for the spring as well as how excited we were to travel to Kentucky. I can't wait to get into the room in January and I am confident that building respect with these core 13 students will allow me to enter the classroom with some student support. 

Tomorrow will be a new day and the beginning of a new chapter for me. I am looking forward to the experience and I know its gonna be a great week. The ride may be long at times, but I know our sing-a-longs will be on point and the bonding will be deep. National Convention has always had this amazing power to bring up my sprits and remind me why I am here today. I know after this convention everything I think I knew about convention will change. Last year getting my American degree I thought that was the best experience I would have at National Convention, but I think this week will top that experience. 

Best of luck to Albion's own Shannon Copeland on her quest to represent Pennsylvania and the Albion FFA as the national officer candidate from Pennsylvania. 

So much excitement is only hours away, and here I am in my sister's dorm room blogging away and doing last minute packing for tomorrow. 6 am is going to be here quicker than I know.

Heres to a wonderful week with an amazing FFA chapter, an exceptional advisor, and a strong group of students who have personalities unlike any I have ever known. Thank you for giving me this experience and I know it will be the best it can be! 

See ya'll in Louisville! Safe travels and good luck to all those competing! 

Make sure you check out everything I will be up to on twitter @rachie12rach and on instagram! 

No comments:

Post a Comment