Friday, November 14, 2014

Observations from National Convention

National convention was a few weeks ago and over this time I had the chance to look back at what I observed and look at my notes from the week. On the Friday before we left we had a lesson on "tracking" tracking in this sense isn't referring to looking for that big buck but rather looking at what is going on around you. I used this new skill to observe the interactions between those around me and how my student's interacted with each other and those around them. I was really surprised about a few things
          • My students treated each other with a high respect, being that they are officers I would expect tension between them however between the officer team I didn't feel any tension only respect for each other and their abilities.
          • I was surprised how much different it is having an adviser pin, from going into workshops to talking to those at the booth. In some booths if you mentioned the word student teacher they just blew you off where others were willing to help and lend a hand.
          • The respect students had for the National Officers and the sessions was really high, thinking back to high school I remember not being interested in workshops or sessions or thinking much about National Officers, the students I worked with were excited for sessions workshops and meeting the National Officers 
I was also interested in how the kids interacted with other members from different chapters, some were very out going where others were more laid back. It was really interesting seeing how some would approach other members for photos or signatures where  some wouldn't even ask for a signature.

I will use these hints I picked up through tracking to gauge how some students are more outgoing where others are less outgoing. I hope to help build the confidence in those who wouldn't ask for signatures and help those who do fine tune their people skills

No comments:

Post a Comment